Driver Assessment Program
Driving provides independence and mobility. For many, it is one of the most important activities of adult daily life. To help individuals enjoy the sense of freedom and security that comes with being a safe driver, St. Jude Medical Center has designed an innovative program to address the unique needs of:
- Individuals returning to driving after severe illness or disability, such as stroke, Parkinson's Disease, head trauma or spinal cord injury,
- Disabled persons who are evaluating their ability to drive for the first time, and
- Seniors who want to remain independent and safe while driving. While most seniors drive safely, gradual changes in vision, movement, perception, attention and memory can place them at risk for being involved in or causing an accident. Our program can help assess their ability to remain safe behind-the-wheel.
Our occupational therapists, specially trained in driver rehabilitation, conduct the nearly three-hour assessment, which includes:
- A clinical visual and perceptual screening,
- Reaction-time testing in a state-of-the-art simulator, and
- A one-hour driving assessment in a dual-controlled car.
At the conclusion of the assessment, the therapist will provide written recommendations regarding the driver's performance, future needs, and adaptive equipment. Suggestions and resources for consultations, therapies and/or training will also be provided.
A physician's prescription is required to participate in the program, and it should include the patient's name, address and age, as well as diagnosis and date of onset of symptom(s). Recommendations are sent to the referring physician. Upon the client's request, we will also forward information to the DMV.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, please contact St. Jude Centers for Rehabilitation and Wellness, (714) 578-8706, ext. 2327. Insurance does not usually cover the fee for this program so please check with your insurance provider. Please contact us for information on discounted rates when paid within 30 days.