We offer an important advantage in helping you recover more quickly and
completely: a care team exclusively dedicated to the unique needs of patients
with hand, wrist and elbow injuries, diseases or surgeries. Experienced
in today’s best practices and evidence-based care, we offer expert
evaluation and individualized treatment for a wide range of acute, post-surgical
and chronic conditions.
Our hand therapists are certified occupational and physical therapists
with extensive training and clinical expertise in hand therapy—and
most are board-certified in their specialty, an advanced designation requiring
years of additional training, education and proficiency. The result is
an uncommon and highly successful level of care.
Conditions we commonly treat include:
- Carpal tunnel and other repetitive use disorders
- Dupuytren’s Disease
- Muscle sprains and strains
- Nerve injuries
- Post-surgical recovery
- Tendon injuries
- Work-related overuse conditions
For further information or to make an appointment, please contact Hand
Therapy at the St. Jude Centers for Rehabilitation & Wellness at (714) 578-8720.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Hand Therapy?
Hand Therapy integrates physiology, anatomy and kinesiology to rehabilitate
and restore function to the hand, wrist, elbow and shoulder. It merges
the skills of occupational and physical therapy with specialized knowledge
and expertise of the upper limb. Through assessment, planning and treatment,
hand therapists provide therapeutic interventions to successfully prevent
dysfunction, restore quality of live, and reverse the progression of disease.
Who do we help?
We care for patients with a diverse range of upper extremity conditions
- Adhesions or tightness
- Congenital anomalies
- Crush injuries
- Cumulative trauma
- Cysts and tumors
- Dislocations and subluxations
- Dupuytren’s disease
- Ligamentous injury and instability
- Muscular strains, tears, and avulsions
- Nerve injuries and conditions
- Tendon injuries
What services do we provide?
- Activity/exercise regimes custom designed to increase motion, dexterity
and strength and function
- Adaptive technique and devices to improve daily life skills
- Desensitization and sensory re-education
- Electrical and thermal modalities
- Ergonomic modifications
- Joint protection and energy conservation training
- Manual Therapy (joint and soft tissue techniques)
- Orthotic/splint fabrication
- Pain management, acute or chronic
- Patient and family education
- Scar tissue management
- Wound management