Facts and Statistics
St. Jude Medical Center is a faith-based, not-for-profit hospital located in Fullerton, California. Established by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Orange in 1957, St. Jude provides exceptional care and is one of Southern California's most respected and technologically advanced hospitals. With over 650 of the area's finest physicians on staff, St. Jude offers nearly every medical specialty and sub-specialty. Whether for the birth of a baby, lifesaving surgery or a routine mammogram, St. Jude continues to set the standard for medical care and offers the community the most comprehensive array of services and programs.
St. Jude Medical Center Statistics for Fiscal Year 2012
- 17,173 admissions (including newborns)
- 13,465 surgeries
- 2,145 babies born
- 54,292 emergency department visits
- 415,789 outpatient visits (excluding emergency department)
- 372 licensed beds
- 660 physicians
- 2,661 employees (full time and part time)
Widely recognized for its expertise, St. Jude Medical Center received the 2010 HealthGrades Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence, an honor that recognizes the top five percent of hospitals in the nation. St. Jude's areas of specialty include breast care,
In addition, St. Jude Medical Center offers:
St. Jude Medical Center has been meeting the needs of north Orange County since 1957 when it opened its doors. St. Jude Heritage Healthcare has been its partner since 1995. Together, we have accomplished the following community benefit initiatives in FY 2012 (July 1, 2011 – June 30, 2012).
- Provided 18,357 medical visits and 6,640 dental visits to uninsured/underinsured low income persons through our fixed site and mobile community clinics increasing access to care to 4,578 individuals.
- Continued the St. Jude Heritage Access Program to expand comprehensive medical home access to St. Jude Heritage primary care physician offices.
- Increased access to specialty care for the uninsured by recruiting additional volunteer specialists at our clinics and partnering with Access OC to provide 17 free surgeries and colonoscopies at a Super Surgery Saturday event.
- Implemented Year 3 of the Healthy for Life program in 36 Title I public school classes in our service area.
- Implemented the South Fullerton Neighborhood Healthy Weight Initiative which expanded nutrition and physical activity programs and policies in the Richman community.
- Continued to partner with Fullerton, Placentia, La Habra and Buena Park Collaboratives on their Obesity Prevention Plans.
St. Jude Medical Center invested $46,715,471 in community benefit in FY 2012, a 7.8%
increase from FY 2011 ($43,316,529). St. Jude Heritage Healthcare invested $4,529,554 in community benefit in FY 12, a 112% increase from FY 2011 ($2,137,014). For more information call (714) 992-3000, ext. 3862.
Community Benefit Report, FY 2012 (PDF)
Community Benefit Report, FY 2010 (PDF)
FY 2012 – FY 2014 Community Benefit Plan and Implementation Strategy (PDF)
St. Joseph Health
St. Jude Medical Center is a member of the St. Joseph Health. St. Joseph Health System is an integrated Catholic health care delivery system providing a broad range of medical services. The health system is organized into three regions—Northern California, Southern California, and West Texas/Eastern New Mexico—consists of 14 acute care hospitals, as well as home health agencies, hospice care, outpatient services, skilled nursing facilities, community clinics, and physician organizations.
To learn more, click here to visit St. Joseph Health online.