Facts and Statistics
St. Jude Medical Center is a faith-based, not-for-profit hospital located in Fullerton, California. Established by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Orange in 1957, St. Jude provides exceptional care and is one of Southern California's most respected and technologically advanced hospitals. With nearly 700 of the area's finest physicians on staff, St. Jude offers nearly every medical specialty and sub-specialty. Whether for the birth of a baby, lifesaving surgery or a routine mammogram, St. Jude continues to set the standard for medical care and offers the community the most comprehensive array of services and programs.
St. Jude Medical Center Statistics for Fiscal Year 2014
- 16,897 admissions (including newborns)
- 13,319 surgeries
- 2,194 babies born
- 56,281 emergency department visits
- 394,281 outpatient visits (excluding emergency department)
- 351 licensed beds
- 670 physicians
- 2,309 employees (full time and part time)
Widely recognized for its expertise, St. Jude Medical Center received the 2010 HealthGrades Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence, an honor that recognizes the top five percent of hospitals in the nation. St. Jude's areas of specialty include breast care,
In addition, St. Jude Medical Center offers:
St. Jude Medical Center has been meeting the needs of north Orange County since 1957 when it opened its doors. St. Jude Heritage Healthcare has been its partner since 1995. Together, we have accomplished the following community benefit initiatives in FY 2013 (July 1, 2012 – June 30, 2013).
- Community Benefit Programs served 28,701 persons with 142,922 in-person encounters
- Provided 12,306 medical visits and 6,922 dental visits to uninsured/under insured low income persons through our fixed site and mobile community clinics increasing access to care to 4,578 individuals.
- Continued the St. Jude Heritage Access Program to expand comprehensive medical home access to 106 patients at St. Jude Heritage primary care physician offices.
- Increased access to specialty care for the uninsured by recruiting additional volunteer specialists at our clinics and partnering with Access OC where 90 volunteers provided 15 free surgeries and colonoscopies at a Super Surgery Saturday event.
- Implemented Year 5 of the Healthy for Life program partnering with the Orange County Department of Education on a transition plan in the elementary schools.
- Continued the South Fullerton Neighborhood Healthy Weight Initiative which expanded nutrition and physical activity programs and policies in the Richman community.
- Continued to partner with Fullerton, Placentia, La Habra and Buena Park Collaboratives on their Obesity Prevention Plans.
- Prevented the conversion of St. Jude Neighborhood Health Center patients with pre-diabetes to diabetes through a pre-diabetes protocol.
St. Jude Medical Center invested $46,875,708 in community benefit in FY 2013, an increase of 0.3% from FY12 $46,715,471. St. Joseph Health, Heritage Healthcare invested
$5,372,556 in community benefit in FY13, an 18.6% increase from FY12 $4,529,554. For more information call (714) 992-3000, ext. 3862.
Community Benefit Report FY 2013 (PDF)
Community Benefit Report, FY 2012 (PDF)
Community Benefit Report, FY 2010 (PDF)
FY 2012 – FY 2014 Community Benefit Plan and Implementation Strategy (PDF)
St. Joseph Health
St. Jude Medical Center is a member of the St. Joseph Health. St. Joseph Health System is an integrated Catholic health care delivery system providing a broad range of medical services. The health system is organized into three regions—Northern California, Southern California, and West Texas/Eastern New Mexico—consists of 14 acute care hospitals, as well as home health agencies, hospice care, outpatient services, skilled nursing facilities, community clinics, and physician organizations.
To learn more, click here to visit St. Joseph Health online.